A DRIVE FOR INNOVATION
In the early years, B.F. Goodrich Company tires were white. But when the company began experimenting with “Silvertown” tires to change up their look, they discovered that the tread rubber was not just gray—it also had a longer life.
The Silvertown manufacturer had been using a small amount of Binney & Smith carbon black to give its tires their tint, and Goodrich discovered that increasing the amount bound the rubber particles together, making the tires stronger. So in 1911, they put out a request for a manufacturer that could produce an annual supply of one million pounds of carbon black.
Binney & Smith took on that challenge, forming the Columbian Carbon Company in response. By searching for a more in-depth understanding and imagining a better way, they soon developed and patented the formula for creating carbon black in pellet form, which allowed them to produce more significant quantities.
The value Binney & Smith brought to the B.F. Goodrich Company was worth more than the 280,000 tons in volume they delivered. Through their willingness to work together and exchange expertise, they promoted their partnership. And by consistently pushing beyond the limitations of the pigment, together they created a tire that could make mobility more practical, more affordable, and more accessible— benefitting the lives of millions.