During his visit to Birla Carbon Egypt, Dr. Santrupt Misra, Group Director, Birla Carbon; Director, Chemicals; & Director, Group H.R., Aditya Birla Group, inaugurated the rehabilitation center for children with different disabilities, established by Birla Carbon Egypt. The center is the first of its kind in the villages surrounding the company and aims to provide services for the needy families in this area. There are around 600 differently-abled people in this area. The center provides services for three kinds of disabilities: mental disability and autism, blind children, and deaf and hearing-impaired children.
The center includes seven therapy classes:
- Psychometric therapy class where movement and playing tools help children acquire some skills related to their body and composition.
- Sensory room for autism – The tools in this room help alert and stimulate all the senses of the children with autism and develop their attention and perception.
- Two classes for developing learning and attention skills: These two classes aim at addressing the language, reading, writing, and arithmetic difficulties of two age groups – from 5 to 8 years and from 9 to 12 years.
- Class for the blind and visually impaired children teaches them pre-Braille and Braille skills.
- Class for deaf and hearing-impaired children teaches them sign language, provides a language increase program and develops their auditory perception.
- Speech therapy class for language disorder treatment for children who suffer from voice disorders, expressive disturbances, speech retention, and rhythmic disturbances such as excessive speed of speech and stuttering.
Besides the above classes, BCE provided a Psychometric assessment and measurement tools to help assess and measure the children’s abilities, designing various intervention and rehabilitation programs and monitoring the progress of children’s cases. The center will also provide small sessions for parents to guide them on the ways to deal with their children at home.